<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I believe this thread is about Pleasant Company/American Girl historical accessories that have changed from wood to plastic.Originally posted by Samanthasmom:
Jess's Tree swing is plastic
I don't have many of the accessories...ok ok the only accessories I have beside meet accessories is Lissie's Noah's Ark toy. I wish most of the things were still authentic though. The wood is higher quality and looks better.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I believe this thread is about Pleasant Company/American Girl historical accessories that have changed from wood to plastic.Originally posted by Samanthasmom:
Jess's Tree swing is plastic
We have actually used Josefina's loom to make the doll blanket. The frame is plastic, as is the clip that holds it to the desk or table that you are using. The rest of the pieces of the loom are wood. As hard as we had to work that loom in order to make the blanket, I think a piece of wood that small would have snapped. I didn't really think about it at the time, but after reading this thread I am glad the loom was plastic.
We also recently got the travois, which is also plastic, and stick A-1 would not fit into stick A-2 the way it was supposed to. We called AG and they sent a replacement travois with exactly the same design flaw. My husband suggested sanding down the sticks before he realized they were plastic, not wood. I thought rather than go through the hassle of yet another travois, I tried his suggestion and actually sanded down the plastic sticks. Worked like a charm. If I had been buying this travois to keep in my collection, and paid full price for it, you can be sure I wouldn't have applied sandpaper to it.
This reminds me of the discussion that went on after Felicity's "new" accessories came out. I remind a hilarious post about Felicity trying to play her plastic guitar for her new friend, blonde Elizabeth. Which leads me to my point, which is that whether you care about plastic or wood really depends on why you bought the toy. I love collecting things and would prefer them to be as high quality and as low priced as I can get them. My daughter wants them to last and have fun playing with them.
Let's face it, there aren't that many Josefina pianos, Felicity clothes presses, or windmills out there now partly because they were made out of wood. Once they get damaged, it is usually beyond repair. Would a Josefina piano made out of plastic be less delicate than one made out of wood? Absolutely. Would I buy one made out of plastic. I doubt it. Would my daughter want one made out of plastic. You bet.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How can you tell if Sam's penny is real? I've heard that even the fake pennies look real. The one I got with my PM Sam looks real to me.Originally posted by Ann (Leia at heart):
Also echoing others about the Indianhead penny--my Sam's is real too. But it would've been impossible for them to keep that up forever!
about the ice cream freezer- the description in addy's accessories states that it is wood and metal . . . . is it really plastic? I have the old wooden one, which looks like the picture. hmmmmmmm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had the new one which is that cheap plastic/wood stuff. I sent it back and got the old one on ebay which is REAL wood and looks like an antique.Originally posted by simplepretty:
about the ice cream freezer- the description in addy's accessories states that it is wood and metal . . . . is it really plastic? I have the old wooden one, which looks like the picture. hmmmmmmm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mine is a copy, and I'm pretty sure it says so on it. "COPY" on the back, near the bottom, so if you've never seen that, it's probably real.How can you tell if Sam's penny is real? I've heard that even the fake pennies look real. The one I got with my PM Sam looks real to me.
I think the real ones were only with the first few years' worth of dolls. My Sam, 1995, has a copy, and I was looking through my Holiday 94 catalogue and it says that it includes a repro coin.
What I don't understand is why, since they're making repros now anyway, they can't resize them appropriately.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The girls sized Felicity necklace WAS made out of coral. Nonendangered coral.I hate plastic as much as the next guy (gal), but I sure hope Felicity's necklace isn't real coral, I hate to get on my soapbox, but coral reefs need to be protected. Julie
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for posting that! I was wondering if it could be pinpointed a bit better. Ok, so I'd guess the change happened in late 1993 (depeneding when you got yours) or early 1994.My Molly's meet accessories are from 1993 and it's a real steel penny.
Does anyone have a catalogue from either of those periods?
My Molly's meet accessories are from 1993 and it's a real steel penny.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for posting that! I was wondering if it could be pinpointed a bit better. Ok, so I'd guess the change happened in late 1993 (depeneding when you got yours) or early 1994.Originally posted by cami713:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> My Molly's meet accessories are from 1993 and it's a real steel penny.
Does anyone have a catalogue from either of those periods?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have the catalogs but I'm not sure the description changed. I will see what I can find out. Most of the time, the description doesn't change with the item.
Bookmarks